Monday, February 14, 2011

Groupon and the Superbowl

While I know I am a bit late to this train, the Ohio National Guard takes precedent over writing in my blog. 

I heard about Groupon about two months prior to Google's offer to buy them, while I have not bought anything from the company I am very interested in how they work and can be used by companies.  When I saw Groupon's Superbowl commercial I was a bit shocked, making fun of saving whales and the rain forest is one thing, but to poke light at the cultural genocide of an occupied people is completely different.  I am by no means the most politically correct person, but even I was a bit disturbed by this miscalculation in advertising.  I posted in my twitter a link to CNN/tech which was about Groupon ending its current advertising campaign, trying to explain that it was to generate awareness, it did not seem to be well received.  Lucky for Groupon, the general memory of people in this age is not far reaching, and I doubt that Groupon will take any hit from this PR issue.

I was disappointed with the Superbowl this year, there was very little social media tie ins.  Besides a few Facebook widgets and seeingone # in reference to twitter, this years commercials could have just as easily been from the 2000 Superbowl in reference to social media pressence.

No comments:

Post a Comment